Wednesday, January 20, 2010

MORE ON AYURVEDA - TIPS FOR WINTER

Hi folks
My cold continues, but while that slows me down, it does not stop me. I have continued to research ayurvedic medicine, and found some tips to help get us all through the winter. The advice seems sound so today I will share these tips with you.

Adding avacado, sesame oil or olive oil to grains such as rice or to soups. These are believed to be healthy fats. Of course, moderation is key.
Start your day with a cup of warm water and lemon. This is said to help cleanse the system.
Tumeric is recommended for its healing properties and can be added to soups and stews.
Vitamin D3 may help energy levels and boost immunity. I have also read that vitamin D may help prevent seasonal affective disorder or the winter blues.
Get plenty of rest.
Exercise in the morning, just some gentle stretching (thanks to Tom for this amendment -- I am still learning)

Eat more avacado, beets, carrots, garlic, sweet potatoes, dates, figs, bananas, lemons, limes, and use ginger, cardamom, cinnamon (yummy with oatmeal), and tumeric.

Well, that all sounds quite reasonable to me, and easy enough to incorporate into a busy schedule, wish I had read up on this before I caught this cold!

3 comments:

  1. Avocado is awesome - only problem is that most grocers in the north sell them when they're no where close to ripe and they carry a bitter taste.

    Exercise in the morning!? It's always such good advice, but...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, since you are an athlete, I will edit to say gentle stretching, that is what I do! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nice tips.......btw thnx 4 visiting my blog
    im following urs. plz follow mine.

    ReplyDelete