Saturday, January 16, 2010

ACHOOO!

Yup, you guessed it. I woke up this morning with a cold and that made today's "new thing" easy enough to pick. I did a google search for home cures for the common cold and will be trying the ones that use things I already have in the pantry and in the fridge. Since I intend to try all of them, this won't be  a proper experiment as such, but here are the remedies:

1. Lemon with honey in hot water using 1/2 lemon and a spoonful of honey for each cup of hot water. This is said to soothe the throat, to provide vitamin C and to help detox the system. Will it work? I don't know but it will be yummy.

2. Garlic soup. The home remedy stated that this would be made by simply mashing up a few cloves of garlic and boiling them in water, but I intend to search for a more hearty garlic soup recipe and will share the recipe with you after I try it.

3. Ginger tea. Similar to the lemon with honey, this remedy calls for steeping some mashed ginger in a cup of boiling water. Ginger has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and will also, I think, be quite yummy.

And for an additional bit of soothing, I bought some Ombra eucalyptus bubble bath. Eucalyptus will clear the sinuses and is often found in bath products for babies and in things like Buckley's and Vick's rubs. So today is about pampering, resting, and reading under the covers. Since I love garlic, I am really looking forward to finding a good garlic soup recipe too.

Signing off for now, ACHOOO!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I barely slept last night because I'm coming down with something. Garlic soup, though? The ginger tea sounds really good! Also, I love eucalyptus.

    I hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete